This blog focuses on the joys, challenges and lessons of living the creative life—and make a living doing it!
Author Gayle Mahoney is an arts marketing consultant and has shown and sold her own artwork for over 25 years.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Angel or devil?

Today a colleague and I were working on her website. She told me she had seen a button that said "Get in your studio and MAKE SOMETHING!" 

As artists, we sometimes have two little beasties sitting on our shoulders. The one on the right shoulder says "Get in the studio and MAKE SOMETHING!" The one on the left shoulder says "Get out of your studio and SELL SOMETHING!" While both can cause us to wake from a deep sleep in a cold sweat in the middle of the night (that reminds me, I have been procrastinating about a couple of invoices and a couple contracts I need to print out, sign and mail ASAP!) what was I talking about? Oh yeah, cold sweats!

What if we stopped fighting those little voices and actually surrendered to them? What if I stopped what I was doing when the creative "angel" said "MAKE SOMETHING!"? Or surrendered when the marketing devil said "SELL SOMETHING!"? and did what I needed to do to get those monkeys off my back? Maybe I would make more, and sell more! What do you think? How do you balance creative time with business/marketing time? Would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment